Discover the Oisans, an area of outstanding beauty and variety
The 'Oisans' is a massif of mountains on the border between the northern
and southern Alps. The King of the Mountains chalet is located in the heart
of this stunning area.
- We are situated on the edge of one of the biggest National parks in France.
- We are the perfect base for discovering a wide variety of activities and
outdoor pursuits, as well as some of the best cycling available anywhere.
- Use the chalet as a base for exploring nearby villages or the city of
THE CAPITAL OF THE OISANS
The capital of the Oisans area is Bourg d'Oisans, a lively, friendly town
with varied shops, restaurants and bars.
- Bourg d'Oisans is 10km from the King of the Mountains chalet.
- 'Cycles et Sport' and 'Au Cadre Rouge' are the local cycle shops stocking spares,
accessories and clothing, and both with excellent workshops for repairs and
- Bourg d'Oisans boasts many sports and outdoor shops that
stock all that is needed for rambling to mountaineering.
- For souvenirs, regional foodstuffs and wine, Bourg d'Oisans
is an ideal stop-off.
THE ECRINS NATIONAL PARK
The King of the Mountains chalet lies on the edge of The Ecrins National
Park. Covering 1,729 700 acres it is one of the largest National Parks in France.
- The Massif des Ecrins is the second highest massif in France after
the Mont Blanc Massif, it has more than 100 summits over 3,000 metres.
- For walkers there are 740km of maintained paths and many
clearly signposted mountain trails.
- For climbers and mountaineers, the Ecrins offers a wealth of routes
on rock, snow and ice.
- The ´Compagnie Des Guides De Oisans' have mountain
guides and hiking guides who are available to accompany and instruct
you depending on your level of ability, they also run many course such
as rock climbing, canyoning and caving.
- The Ecrins is home to the largest established population of Golden
Eagles in France; 37 pairs have been counted in the park area,
as well as 210 species of other nesting birds.
- Amongst the 64 species of mammal that inhabit the Ecrins
are Marmots, Ibex, Wolves and Chamois.
- It is possible to find Edelweiss, an emblem of the Alps,
growing in The Ecrins and 1,800 other species of flower.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
The King of the Mountains chalet is ideally situated for exploring a wide
variety of activities, outdoor pursuits and sports.
We hold up to date information on most sports and activities in
the area, we will be happy to help you choose and book the best courses and
activities during your stay with us.
Organised groups with fully trained instructors are available
for many activities, and equipment and clothing available for hire or included.
- Mountain biking
- Rock climbing
- Via ferrata
- Summer ski-ing / snowboarding / snowpark
- Glacier hikes
- Paragliding and tandem paragliding
- Canoe and kayaking
- White water rafting
- Horse riding
- Bungee jumping
- Petanque (boules)
EXPLORE CITIES AND VILLAGES
The contrast between the city of Grenoble and the many tiny villages and
typical Alpine hamlets that dot the valleys makes for interesting excursions
from the King of the Mountains chalet, whether by car, bike or on foot.
- The city of Grenoble is only a 1 hour drive away from
the King of the Mountains chalet.
- A good network of cycle paths throughout Grenoble link
most of the city sights. As the flattest city in France, it is a welcome
place to spend a rest day!
- Grenoble is steeped in history and culture, it has many
museums, galleries, picturesque squares, pedestrianised streets and a huge
variety of shops, markets and restaurants.
- During summer months, many villages in the Oisans area hold lively fêtes ,
markets, festivals and traditional fairs .
- Visit Venosc village, famous for its winding, cobbled streets and
the many workshops, shops and galleries of local craftsmen who have settled
- Visit La Grave, a near-mythical venue for alpinism of
all kinds - an off piste mecca for skiers and snowboarders the world over,
as well as climbers and mountaineers.